Monday, July 18, 2005

"Charlie and the Chocolate Factory" 101...

If you have not seen the new movie yet, and do not want to hear my thoughts on it...DO NOT READ FURTHER!!!

Well, I went on opening night with Stars in my eyes and a hope in my heart. My friend Ellen (see, "Reign of Ellen" in my sidebar) and I were posed for greatness...but,

In a nut shell, I must say that this version of The World of Wonka was WAY more weird and "trippy" than the first one. The oompa-loompas were really freakin' strange and scary...and I'm sorry, but Johnny Depps version of Mr. Wonka came off more like a child molester than a chocolatier. I personally would never let my child ( or myself for that matter ) within' 100 feet of that man. And what was up with the "backstory" of Willy Wonka? It just made him EVEN WORSE! Did anyone else think that the image of Willy as a young child was a bit on the "S&M" side? CREEPY!!!!!!!!

Now...lets take a moment and dwell on the child actors. THEY WERE AMAZING! I far prefer THIS Charlie over the wimpering blonde of the 70's. This child needs a freakin' Oscar for his portrayal of little Charlie Baggins. (It is Baggins...right?) My favorites in order:


1. Charlie...some one give this child a golden statue...not a ticket!
2. Veruca Salt...she was awesome...very bratty
3. Violet Boreguard...I just wanted to smack her for smacking her gum. BRILLIANT!

4. Agustus Gluut...gotta love a fat kid.
5. Mike Teevee (TV)...He wasn't my favorite in the original...unfortunately, still not my favorite. Although, I did like how Tim Burton got his point accross about kids and their video-game addictions and how its really messing with their heads.

As for Charlies family...Well done...Grandpa Joe was still just as sweet and lovable. Grandpa George had a lot more to say this time around though. And...I wonder why they didn't put the dad in the first one...budget?

...and what about the big story line with the "ever lasting gob-stopper" and how Willy Wonka hired a secret agent to temp the winning children with theivery...it wasn't there at all! Was it not in the book? Guess not. I really should read the book sometime.

...and what about the fizzy lifting drink?...I LOVED THAT PART!!!!! Actually...this version of the story ended quite blunt. I liked the mystery and wonder of the original movie. You had no idea how Charlie was going to run the factory, just that he was...as he flew away in the "Wonka-vator". (I'm seeing a great Halloween costume here...Wonka + Darth Vador = "Wonka Vador"...hmmm)

Oh well...thats all for now. What do you think about it????

1 Comments:

Blogger shauna said...

I SAW IT LAST NIGHT!!!!!!!! I had to go as soon as we arrived home!

It was VERY different. I am still contemplating it.
I think I like Gene Wilder's version of Wonka better. he was still cooky but in a safe, lovable way. Depp was awesome, but too creepy.

more discussions on this later . . . still pondering it.

10:02 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home