Thursday, July 07, 2005

Old Maid...Go Fish...

Not only are these the names of some great card games for young little whipper snappers, but it also somes up my thoughts right now. Please, allow me to elaborate...

OLD MAID:
I've always thought of myself as being a relaxed/cool individual, but lately, I must say that I've become a bit of a judgemental old maid!!!

See, last night, Sarah and I were trucking along in The Floyd (my husbands BEAST of a truck) when this kid totally flew into our lane of traffic scaring the POO out of both of us. This led me to a very long train of thought...ending here: KIDS SHOULD NOT DRIVE UNTIL THEY ARE 18 YEARS OLD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Now, if you would have asked me about this 11 years ago, I would have said something like "um hello...I totally am responsible and can, like, totally drive!". PISH POSH!!! No I couldn't! By the age of 18, I had been in 3 wrecks (all my fault), had 2 speeding tickets and hit a freakin' deer which totaled my not so cool car. (well, it obviously was not "totaled" because I still drove it until college. Except at night...NO HEADLIGHTS)

Why do I feel this way? Well, I think that EVERYTHING should be released onto us at 18. If we can vote, be considered an "adult", and technically no longer be our parents "financial burden"...then we should also get our license that year and be allowed to purchase and consume alcohol. Hisssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss....that might be a hard one to swallow, but my opinion stays the same. My blog...na na na boo boo!

Go Fish:
On a lighter note...I'm excited about this weekend. Justin and I are going trout fishing with my mom and stepdad. It should be lots of fun. I hope I catch a HUGE one!!! woo hoo!!!

3 Comments:

Blogger sarah j. said...

I was going to comment on my wrecks/speeding tickets, but I decided to refrain from embarrassing myself...

Hmm...yes you are entitled to your opinion, but is it REALLY a good idea to allow them to get their license AND be legal to drink all in the same year...?? hmmm.....

4:33 PM  
Blogger Shelli said...

Probably not...

But I don't think that a person should be voting on something that they can not even legally purchase yet....

And I don't think that teenagers should be driving on what they are not allowed to voice their opinions on yet.

I'm definitely NOT opposed to driving permits from 16-18. I think that would be a good thing. LOTS OF PRACTICE.

...and how many highschool kids do we have out there drinking and driving already???...and least they would be drinking at the parties, but have to call mom and dad to come pick them up.

...just a thought.

10:36 AM  
Blogger sarah j. said...

true....

I would have to agree with you on raising the driving age from 16 to 18... and if they kept the permit age at 14 like it is now, that would give them 4 whole years to practice and learn how to drive responsibly...hopefully.

but I still think the drinking age should stay at 21...just my opinion...

12:24 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home