Tuesday, December 18, 2007

"...tidings of comfort and joy."

I'm having a really hard time finding comfort and joy this holiday season. In fact, I'm right up there with Mr. Scrooge.

This time of year has been getting harder and harder for me to handle. And, I'm DEFINITELY becoming more annoyed by it…that’s FO SHO!

Maybe its the FACT that most people around the world don't open their eyes and realize the hardships of the world until December...

Maybe its because the majority of the world chooses to become money hungry vultures at the malls during this time of year. People will knock others out just to buy a specific item for a child…but choose to pass by the bell ringer at the store entrance.

Maybe its because we have Christian brothers and sisters around the world that are persecuted if they so much as hum or whistle a Christmas carol, while we sit back with our holiday ham or turkey and just grin from ear to ear, not realizing the blessings of this liberty we have as fat Americans. (…and I am one, so please no comments about size.)

Maybe its because the word "Christmas" is starting to vanish all together...

Maybe its because I'm not doing enough for the purpose of Christ and spreading his fame amongst the nations.

I'm just...joyless and having a hard time feeling happy when I know SO many others are hurting.

Merry Christmas (feed the hungry)
Merry Christmas (give to the poor)
Merry Christmas (pray and stand up for the persecuted)
Merry Christmas (celebrate CHRIST every day of the year)

From the Gospel of John we see in the book, where Peter denied Christ three times and he was ashamed and saddened by it. On one of the occurances when Christ appeared to his remaining disciples after his resurrection, Christ (starting in chapter 21 verse 15) asked Peter three different times if he loved him, and Peters response was always yes. How awesome was it that Christ in his redemptive love, gave Peter an opportunity, not once…but THREE times to SAY and claim his love for him. After each time that Christ asked Peter if he loved him, and Peter replied yes, Christ had simple commands of him:

Feed my lambs
Take care of my sheep
Feed my sheep

Peter was THE ROCK of our founding fathers of the faith. He lived with a passionate, wild abandoned love and calling to follow Christ. His simplistic words were more effective in his letters than CS Lewis’ deep and intellectual modern day writings.

I think this relationship and command between Christ and Peter displays great imagery of what our faith is supposed to look like. Simple, basic, non-glamorous, un-ashamed, love for others and love to tell others about Christ.

What is the MOST important thing to YOU this Christmas?

I think I’m starting to find my joy again…

3 Comments:

Blogger carrisa said...

Well since this ice storm left us without power for 8 days (just got it back yesterday) I am thankful for simple things. I am thankful that during the storm I had a wonderful sister who took me in and kept me warm. I am thankful for my wonderful brave husband who spent 8 cold nights in our house to protect it and the dogs while insisting I stay somewhere warm.

And I am thankful for how much God has blessed me. Even if I don't see it sometimes.

Shell, email me your address. carrisablog@gmail.com

7:04 PM  
Blogger Kristen said...

the true beauty of Christmas.

5:20 PM  
Blogger Brian Hirschy said...

I met this guy named Joy and then he punched me in the face... "pow!"

7:34 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home