Monday, April 10, 2006

WHY I LOVE MY CHURCH...

I go to a church called “The Grove”. Many of you who read my blog know this…because you go there too. But many of you do not…so let me just tell you a little bit about my church….and why I LOVE IT so much. Just read...

1. I can wear shorts, a t-shirt, and a hat…OR…I can wear the nicest dress in my closet and know that I fit in.

2. We sing traditional hymns “rocked out” and also modern stuff that is so wonderful and based 100% on scripture.

3. When we take communion, for the first time in my life, I know that there is REAL meaning behind it. There is a reason I’m doing it.

4. NO HYPOCRICY!!! People are so real…so true…and so in love with the word of God that it shows in every step, every word and ever move they make.

5. We meet in a bar. Yep…let me say that again…WE MEET IN A BAR. We do not have a building of our own…so, we rent out “The Dickson Theater” which is a dance club / bar. Sometimes, people walk in holding a cigarette expecting "the normal" atmosphere...and you know what?...we welcome them with open arms. We hang black velvet curtains around the bar (so it matches and doesn’t look tacky), we set up chairs in rows, and we take down any posters or artwork that is questionable. And when we’re done…we put it all back up to respect the owners.

6. My husband and I loved this church SO much (and knew that they were “hitting the nail on the head” when it came to what church is supposed to be like)…that we moved to Arkansas to be a part of it. Seriously...we did.

7. We’re “non-denominational”…but I really do NOT like that phrase. So let me say that we are a “biblically based church that studies Gods word, but is not supported by a denomination. We play loud music, but we don’t run around shouting and dancing with snakes.”

8. We have a group of Elders and a wise staff of people that make the decisions for the church according to scripture and truths. We do not have one head “preacher” or “priest” that leads the church on Sundays…we have a select group of men that have a strong biblical wisdom that teach us. These men are also a part of our staff or on our Elder board.

9. We have an AMAZING childrens ministry called "The Green house" (where childrend grow).

10. Our core beliefs are summed up in “The Apostles Creed” based on biblical truths. Which is:

I believe in God the Father, Almighty, Maker of heaven and earth: And in Jesus Christ, his only begotten Son, our Lord: Who was conceived by the Holy Spirit, born of the Virgin Mary: Suffered under Pontius Pilate; was crucified, dead and buried: He descended into hell: The third day he rose again from the dead: He ascended into heaven, and sits at the right hand of God the Father Almighty: From thence he shall come to judge the quick and the dead: I believe in the Holy Spirit: I believe in the holy church: the communion of saints: The forgiveness of sins: The resurrection of the body: And the life everlasting. Amen

If you would like to learn more about "The Grove"...go to our website: www.thegrovechurch.org

3 Comments:

Blogger Leaning Shanty Farm said...

It is so hard to find a church that "fits." My husband and I have been looking forever!

I was raised Catholic and he is non-denom. Christian. We both believe the same things...thankfully...but finding a church that we feel fits us and is real is HARD!!

I'm happy to see that you have found one...hold onto it for dear life!! ; )

1:49 PM  
Blogger *g* said...

i particularly like your revamped wording of "non denominational." i think you should create a new word for it, and that should be the definition.

1:05 PM  
Blogger Hillary said...

YAY for awesome churches! Glad you've got one you love. I love mine, too.

12:43 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home