Tuesday, January 24, 2006

Give me back my high "C"...or even "B" !!!

Have I ever told you that I have a degree in vocal music performance? Yep...I sang my way through college. I'm a classicaly trained lyric soprano. (that means...I sing really really high with "opera type" stuff) But...I also did a lot of jazz in college. When I sing jazz or the blues, I sound like a soulful women that is reaching down low and hitting notes only a man should be able to hit. Needless to say (and really, I'm not trying to be proud or boastful) I'm blessed with a really wide range.

...BUT....

Last night was the first night of rehearsals for the "Master Choral" that I'm now a part of. This choir will give me the oppurtunity to sing classic art pieces again. ...a chance to sing the beautiful soprano lines again. ...possibly a chance to do a lead aria solo again. I miss this stuff SO SO SO MUCH!!!!! But...last night...it was SO VERY HARD for me to reach a high C, or even a B. Whoah nelly...this was usually like smooth silk for me. I could just float right up there and hang out for awhile. But last night was so tuff! I've really got to work my voice back to where it was 5 years ago. I'm really out of "voice shape".

We're doing Carmina Burana which, as you might know, is very punching, heart wrenching, pounding, high music. I'm so excited! But...I've got to work on my voice.

To give you an idea of how much I've missed this style of singing...I listened to a cd of myself the other day and just sat there and BAWLED MY EYES OUT! I'm so excited to be back into it. The concert is April 22nd and 23rd...I hope you can make it.

Ps. Sarah ( www.greeneyedview.blogspot.com ) and Dave ( www.davehamrick.blogspot.com ) are also singing in the choir with me. Dave has a degree in voice as well...and well...Sarah, just rocks.

5 Comments:

Blogger John Nelson said...

That's awesome that y'all are doing Carmina Burana! I love that opera!

I know what you mean about missing things...I played trumpet in the Razorback band for a bit in college. My trumpet was stolen, and I just dropped out of the band. Now, I'm interested in getting a new trumpet and joining the NWA public orchestra. It makes me giddy to think about doing it again...it's so fun!

I'm glad you're getting a chance to rekindle your passion for vocal performance! I'll do my best to come see the show!

12:38 PM  
Blogger shauna said...

i want to come also!

3:02 PM  
Blogger Karen said...

I LOVE Carmina Burana (and you and Sarah). I'm totally there!

4:33 PM  
Blogger sarah j. said...

Just so you all know, Shelli sounded AWESOME on the first read through. THe girl sitting next to me thought she had sang Carmina Burana before. And she did pretty stinking well at those lofty notes!. As for me....I'm taking the 3rd ;)...

Shauna and Karen: COME, COME!!!! :)

8:22 AM  
Blogger Virginia said...

my sister, Whitney, danced classical ballet to Carmina Burana! so, yes, i've heard of that...how awesome! we'll try to make it, that would be fun!

10:22 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home