Wednesday, December 21, 2005

Blue Light Confessions...

I find myself needing to tell my blog fans about the funniest job I ever had: "The K-Mart Blue Light Special and Closing Alert Announcer".

Yep, when I turned 16, my very first job was at K-Mart at 51st near Harvard avenue in Tulsa Oklahoma. My main job was to go back and forth between lay-away and front line cashier. BUT...when the time called for it...I WAS THE ANNOUNCER FOR BLUE LIGHT SPECIALS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! AND....EVERY SINGLE NIGHT (that I was there) I DID THE CLOSING ANNOUNCEMENT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And...I remember EVERY WORD:

Blue Light Special:

Attention K-Mart shoppers we are now having a "blue light special" in lingerie. This special will be running for a mere 15 minutes, please hurry while this amazing sale lasts. Again, we are having a "blue light special" in womens lingerie. ...And as always, thank you for shopping your "51st street K-mart".

Closing Call:

Attention K-Mart shoppers, the time now is 9:45 and your "51st street K-mart" will be closing in just 15 minutes. We ask that you please bring your final selections to the front of the store and we will check you out as quickly and efficiantly as possible. ...And as always, thank you for shopping your "51st street K-Mart".

(and we would re-do this every 5 minutes until...)

Attention K-Mart shoppers, the time now is 10:00 and you "51st street K-Mart" is now closed. We ask that you now bring your final selections to the front check out area and we will check you out as quickly and efficiantly as possible. Again, the time now is 10:00 and we are now closed. Thank you.


Memories...like the corner of my mind...misty water colored Memories, of the way we were. Scattered PICT-ures...

1 Comments:

Blogger sarah j. said...

I was the "coke girl" at the Colony shop in Fayetteville. My job was to stand at the front of the store and offer every customer a beverage:

"Good morning! Welcome to Colony Shop. Can I get you anything to drink? We have Coke, Dt. Coke, Sprite, Dr. Pepper, Coffee, and Water."

Then I had to go get their beverage of choice and go and find them in the store to deliver said beverage.

8:07 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home