Friday, August 19, 2005

OSCAR THE GROUCH...OR ELMO?

Today, I received an email. The beginning line read something like this: "Shelli, I know you're not exactly a 'kid person' ,but would you mind helping out with childcare at..."

OH MY GOODNESS GRACIOUS!!!!!!!!!! WHEN DID I BECOME THE LADY THAT DOESN'T LIKE KIDS?????????

I've always always always loved kids. They (honestly) just scare me a little. The one time...ONE TIME...I ever baby-sat my neice, she had a seizure and had to be rushed to the emergency room. So, yah...I'm a little bit skiddish of being alone with a small person.

But, the fact of the matter is...I do not like working in "child care". I could NEVER EVER work at a "day care center". That would totally get on my last nerve and honestly, I would be the lady who always asked to be in the nursery so that I could just sit there and hold the baby that was already asleep when the brought him or her in.

BUT...here's the thing...the other day, my husband and I watched 6 little boys...ok, I'll repeat...6 LITTLE BOYS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (Thanks a million Babyar...just kiddin') And it was fun. I fed them dinner and everything.

Maybe I just need to be more willing to "serve" in this area. If I concentrate on "serving" like Christ "served", then maybe I'll be more "ministry minded" rather than "self absorbed".

I WANT TO BE AN ELMO...but i think i'm an oscar the grouch!

The other day, I quoted on another friends blog "I like kids...just not yours!" Gee, and I wonder why people think these things about me! HMMM....

9 Comments:

Blogger Ellen said...

Better than being Crazy Harry.

12:26 AM  
Blogger shauna said...

it'll be TOTALLY different when they're your own. I promise . . . except i don't have kids yet, so what do I know!

10:24 AM  
Blogger Karen said...

i used to love babysitting, but now, unless i have a vested interest in the child (i.e. my niece or nephew or the squirtlets who were in my wedding or their brother) or they are really, really well-behaved (i.e. my friend steph's baby), i'm kind of like, "ehh."

but i agree with shauna. i know i should stop comparing my dog to a child, but i love him to death, but i'm not really a dog-person in general.

3:02 PM  
Blogger sarah j. said...

weren't you the friend that mentioned orphan ministry or something??

3:17 PM  
Blogger Karen said...

well, adoption, yes. but then, they're your own kid.

6:31 PM  
Blogger sarah j. said...

oh sorry, Karen...I was referring to Shelli....uh, but yes you did mention adoption.

7:59 PM  
Blogger Shelli said...

Yah, Justin and I have been thinking / praying / trying not to go off of our emotions about working with the little orphan boys from Romania and Ukraine.

9:06 AM  
Blogger Karen said...

you totally did not tell me about that! short-term or long-term?

9:54 AM  
Blogger Shelli said...

Who knows...we can't even agree on how to raise our dog...let alone some foreign kids.

3:10 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home