Tuesday, February 13, 2007

To Tattoo Or Not To Tattoo...that is the question...

For years now, I've been debating the idea of me with a tattoo. I don't exactly "show a lot of skin", nor would I want to...even if I was skinny. But, nevertheless, I've always wanted one. Just something to represent “me” and what I believe in.

So, here are some questions and my answers to them:

Isn’t it a sin? Well, it DOES say in Leviticus to not tattoo your skin. But, it also says no piercing and not to eat pork. In short…its “old law”. We have freedom in Christ. We are not longer conformed to old rules and laws. Next?

Is this in rebellion towards my parents / upbringing? Nope…not at all. My mom would probably just be a little confused by it. She would probably say something like “Doesn’t the bible say that you’re not supposed to get tattoos?” And to that I would say “Old Law…next?” My dad would just give me a little mini-guilt trip that would sound a little something like this: “Shelli…your flesh is my flesh. You are my daughter, a part of ME. I hate that you’ve defiled your beautiful body.” And to that I would probably say “Dad…don’t worry…it’s not permanent. It will be gone when we get to Heaven. So chill!” Next?


But what would your church/clergy think? Lets just say that I could see one my ministers going to the Tat parlor with me to get his own. (come on Harkey...you've always dreamed of that celtic design around your arm!!!) PS…have I ever mentioned how much I love my church? The Grove: www.thegrovechurch.org Next?

Why do you have to put a symbol or message on your skin? Why can’t you just live it out? AND HERE IS MY HANG UP! This is the one that gets me. Do I REALLY need something tattooed on my skin in order to make a statement? Is this just a fad and I’ll regret it in about 10 years? Well, I don’t know about the regretting part, but I can definitely say that it is not a current ‘fad’. I mean…if it’s mentioned in the book of Leviticus…it must be a pretty old tradition? But, will I regret it? Dang…I don’t know.

OH GEEZ!!!!!!!!!!...I JUST DON’T KNOW!!!!!

What do YOU think?

6 Comments:

Blogger Wasp Jerky said...

Have an artist design the tattoo for you and then spend a year looking at the design and thinking about it. If you want the tattoo after a year, get it. If not, don't.

As for the should question, you answered it yourself. You aren't under the law. And it doesn't matter what your church thinks. Ultimately, you don't answer to them.

There is, incidentally, a Christian Tattoo Association. Google it. The web site appears to be down, but there's a lively message board you can visit, where I'm sure you can get plenty of feedback.

3:46 PM  
Blogger John Nelson said...

You could use it as a ministry opportunity. "I have become all things to all men.."

You're not under the Law, but as Paul re-iterated, the Law is good and is the standard that was set for us. That's all I want to say about that. Just taking up for the Law's side of things, because it always gets Romans-ized out of the picture. I felt sorry for it. And after all that work God and Moses did on the mountain putting it together! Seems a shame to just let it go by the wayside.

Um...that may be the wordiest non-answer ever. Pat on the back to me!

10:57 PM  
Blogger whitney said...

I say go for it, I might go with you and get one too.

12:00 AM  
Blogger Leaning Shanty Farm said...

I have a tatoo. It is on my lower back to the left. It is a moon and a star...because I used to be obsessed with them...so pretty! : ) Anyway...I got this when I was 19...why? I had always wanted one and it was so "Not Me." "Goody Two Shoes, never does anything crazy Abbey" would NEVER do that!! But I did.

Here's why I STILL LOVE IT!! First of all, its in a place that is rarely seen...seriously...I don't wear low, low pants or crop tops. So unless I bend over and you are staring at my butt, you don't see it. : ) But when I DO see it in the mirror by chance before I get in the shower, I smile and think to myself...."Huh, I did something fun...I like it."

Now...as for wearing your faith vs. showing your faith. I don't really think its an issue. You would clearly do BOTH. Think of it as a tshirt or necklace ... you don't stop acting Christian just because you are also showing it on your shoulder/back/whatever...

Hope this helped in some way! : )

3:09 PM  
Blogger Ellen said...

Sounds awfully permanent to me....

9:04 PM  
Blogger Geek4god said...

My roommate in college got a dove with his wife the week they got married. He screamed so much that she almost chickened out. He was a pastor at the time and still is ;)

I have thought about doing it. Getting something to mark milestones in my life, like losing weight getting a life ect.

I knew this awesome Christian girl who had a faded rose on one ankle and a newer fish on the other. I always felt like maybe one represented who she was and the other who she is.

Get a tattoo that says daddies girl that way you can tell your dad you did it for him and then you can tell everyone else it is because you are the daughter of a King..

10:56 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home