Tuesday, January 16, 2007

"Rollin' With the Homies"...

Did anyone fall into the chat room craze of the late 90’s? During my freshman and sophomore years of college, I would DAILY go to the “Frank Sinatra” chat room. People would talk as if THEY were a member of the rat pack. We would discuss going out swing dancing…drinking “high ballers” and “low ballers” (what IS that by the way?)…and I’d melt when some guy would say things like “Come Fly With Me baby”. Although, instead of quoting Sinatra lines...I would quote movies like "Clueless", "Say Anything" and "Much Ado About Nothing". One time…IT ONLY TOOK ONCE…I agreed to meet one of the guys in a public setting with some of his friends and some of mine. I’ve never drank a cup of coffee SO FAST in my life. We were there MAYBE 10 minutes.

OH GEEZ!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yes, chat rooms are still VERY much alive, however, they’ve turned more towards teenage drama and scary predators. Is it just me, or is it the same way with the blogging world now? I’ve noticed that (besides the crazed teenager on “myspace”)Very few (atleast in my circle of friends) are still keeping up to date with daily blogs. Most are “once a monthers” or maybe even the “every other monther”.

To quote Gennie with a G: “blogging is SO 2005”. I think she just might be correct.

My friend Ellen ( www.thereignofellen.blogspot.com )has officially said goodbye. She was one of the matriarchs of this blogging phenomenon. If SHE is bowing out…then TONS of others are sure to follow suit. However, SHE is a stay at home mommy and has a handful…what is our excuse?

I used to feel this “need” to blog EVERY SINGLE STINKIN’ DAY. As if other people out there had nothing better to do with their time…they depended on me…they were sitting in excited anticipation for my next post. AS IF!

…all this gobbledy goop to say: I’m just gonna play it by ear. I may or may not blog. I went out and even created a new site at another competitor blog place, but didn’t have the motivation to continue with it!

So, maybe you’re wearing a “VIVA LA BLOG” shirt…or maybe you carved “blogging is so 2005” in your desk. Either way…as far as I’M concerned…I’m just gonna keep “rolling with the homies” and wander back to the blog every once in a while.

4 Comments:

Blogger Hillary said...

Oh, I don't think blogging is headed out any time soon! Of course, that could jsut me my addiction talking! ;)

I'm sad Ellen has bowed out, I always loved her blogs.

1:39 PM  
Blogger Leaning Shanty Farm said...

I'm still workin' the blog.

I started mine mostly to keep all my family and friends back east up to date on what my husband and I were doing out here in Cali. It's still pretty much that way... So until I move back that way, I'll keep it up.

Plus, I like it because it lets me talk about random crap, show off my pictures, and meet people I would never be able to meet otherwise...like you...and Hillary...and SarahCool...and and and...

So I'll keep on keepin' on until I find I have nothing left to talk about...

I'll def. still keep an eye on your blog though...to see what you have to say when you do come back. : )

2:28 PM  
Blogger Lafe said...

Blogs are cool, so stay in school...

7:34 PM  
Blogger Ellen said...

"Matriarchs"... heh heh. That be funny.

I know what you mean, though. I've noticed the same thing. Actually, I think that some of the downturn is due to some natural and realistic cause-and-effect, that probably had to take a few years to catch up. For example, maybe people who thought that they had totally anonymous blogs when they started them several years ago, and wrote all their dirt and true opinions for the world to see, were eventually found by friends and family. It took awhile, but now they have to seriously think about what they are putting out there. Or blogs that continuously got trolls in their comments section finally got fed up and quit (That happened with one of my fav blogs recently.) Also, this past year, a site called Trainwrecks spotlighted and ridiculed bloggers that they found annoying. I think that some bloggers went dormant because they were afraid of being harrassed. Recently, though, the site went defunct so maybe people will start writing again.

None of those things was really the case with me. I just didn't feel like I had much interesting left to say...

...of course, that don't stop me from yammerin' in comment sections! har har

8:05 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home